WELCOME TO
THE AMERICAN LEGION

America's Largest
Veterans Service Organization

myLegion.org Icon
Social Icons
legion-logo-home.jpg

POST HISTORY

(Every Post has its unique history.  Assign your Post historian to this project.  With permission, you may use below as a model)

POST HISTORY

On January 20, 1920 forty-five former servicemen met in the high school auditorium summoned by Past Commander P. V. Thelander. Existing at the time in Batavia an informal post consisting of former World War One veterans. The decision to organize an American Legion post resulted from the conclusion of these veterans that the American Legion was the representative veterans' organization in this country. That conclusion has been proven true as today the American Legion is the largest wartime veterans' organization with nearly 15,000 local Posts throughout America and over 3 million members who care about America, veterans, their families and our nation's youth.

At the first meeting P. V. Thelander was elected temporary chairman and Fred pearson temporary secretary. Decision was made by the attending veterans to file an application for a Batavia American Legion Post.

At the February 3, 1920 meeting, held in the council chambers of City Hall, a Certificate of Application for a Charter was presented. It was also decided at this meeting to organize a Post as soon as one hundred service men of Batavia had indicated their desire to join the Post. The next meeting was held on February 17, 1920 and those present decided to organize permanently.

A committee was formed to name the Post and that as a mark of respect to the Batavia men who died in the service of their country, the Post was named "American Legion Batavia Post 504". John Kelly, Carl Mier, John P. Benson, John Duffy and Andrew Anderson, Batavia's war dead, were memorialized and honored when this Post was chartered.

Permanent organization was affected at a meeting held at the Moose Hall on April 19, 1920 at which time permanent officers were elected. The first officers of Batavia Post 504 were: Victor Thelander, Commander; George H. Tinckness, Adjutant; and Albert Painsipp, Finance Officer. On August 21. 1920 a charter was issued establishing American Legion Batavia Post 504.